Answer YES or NO to the following statements:
• I often act nice and polite on the outside when inside I feel annoyed, frustrated, angry or hurt.
• My life is dominated by doing, achievement and performance.
• I anticipate the needs of others and work hard to satisfy them.
• I often feel inadequate or not good enough.
• Anxiety is the emotion I feel most often in my relationships.
• If I make a mistake, I feel like a failure.
• My family rarely discussed feelings and emotions when I was a child.
• I sometimes have difficulty identifying my feelings or I deny their value.
• I have a hard time saying “No” to others.
• I am highly critical of myself.
• It is hard to let other's take care of me without feeling shame or guilt.
• People have described me as a perfectionist or an overachiever.
• I often feel exhausted, overly burdened and my schedule is overloaded.
• I have difficulty trusting others.
• I often keep silent in order to avoid conflict.
If you answered yes to four or more of the following statements you most likely developed an artificial persona early in childhood to protect yourself from feelings of rejection, abandonment and pain. You learned to hide your true feelings and your authentic self in order to survive in a family with strict and rigid expectations. Repressing your authenticity protected you as a child, however as an adult hiding away your inner truth is no longer helpful. In fact, it is not allowing for true intimacy in your relationships.
Your deserve to feel truly known and to act spontaneously without worry. When you do not express your inner truth you can feel lonely, compulsively driven or completely unmotivated. Feelings of anxiety, shame and hopelessness or numbness are all symptoms of a hidden authentic self. Healing is possible. You can reconnect to your authentic self. When we are connected to our unique and authentic self, we are able to become truly intimate with others and with God. You no longer have to hide away or repress your feelings and needs. Are you ready to develop your emotional resilience and discover psychological freedom? Make an appointment today!